Rumor control and being aware of possible scams and fraud are important during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has compiled a number of rumors that are circulating in these times and facts to correct them. Additionally, several government agencies and departments have put out resources to keep the public aware of possible scams and frauds related to COVID-19. To help stop the spread of rumors, try to find trusted sources, share information from trusted sources and discourage others from sharing information from unverified sources. COVID-19 related scams and frauds may also be reported to help prevent anyone from becoming a victim to predators attempting to profit from this pandemic. Below is a list of rumors FEMA has addressed and resources to report fraud and scams. Additionally, if you have any questions about rumors, you may use the email address at the bottom of this page.
The Young Woman's Christian Association was organized July 8, 1909. Mrs. John P. Dolliver was the first president and served until October, 1910, when she resigned and Mrs. George Ringland was elected president. The work was conducted for a time in the frame building just north of the Commercial National Bank building on Central Avenue. In the fall of 1909, the Reynolds property on the corner of First avenue north and Ninth street was purchased, and became the home of the YWCA, and is still there today. At the time of buying the location, $13,000.00 of the purchase price was raised by subscriptions, of which $10,000.00 was paid for the site. Later the lot adjoining on the west was purchased at a cost of $4,500.00. On January 17, 1913, the mortgage on the YWCA building was paid. An event celebrating the “burning of the mortgage” was held on January 21, 1913 with Dr. Sarah Kime in charge of the ceremony.
The three-story building was designed to house permanent and transient women. With dorm style private housing throughout, residents shared kitchen, laundry, bath and lounge space. The building also included club rooms and a gymnasium with showers. Thirty-six rooms were available for rent by women coming into the community for education and employment.
The directors at that time were: Mrs. George Ringland, president; Mrs. J. I. Rutledge, first vice president; Mrs. E. H. Williams, second vice president ; Mrs. W. H. Blakely, corresponding secretary ; Mrs. Charles Findlay, recording secretary, and Dr. Sarah Kime, treasurer. The remaining board of directors included Mesdames Anna Beatty, W. H. Blakely, C. V. Findlay, J. F. Russell, E. H. Williams, D. M. Woodard, George H. Williams, F. B. Olney, G. L. Lindquist, and Phillip Dorr.
During the year 1912-13, there were 126 girls were enrolled in YWCA programs. By 1930, the membership of the YWCA totaled 700 women. From 1915 to 1943, the YWCA Cafeteria served 3 meal daily. Meals were provided a nourishment for low income and transient women and for the women living at the Y. The cafeteria continued serving meals until 1961. During its peak of operation, the YWCA Cafeteria was recognized as a social center for motorists and the traveling public.
Nationally, since its beginnings in the 1860’s, the YWCA has advocated for women’s economic advancement, empowerment, health, fitness and well-being, education and leadership development. In Fort Dodge, YWCA programs and offerings have evolved with the changing needs and interests of women and girls in the area. Early classes and clubs involved “working girls.” The YWCA began the Fort Dodge Business and Professional Women's Club, the Fort Dodge Business Girl's Club, and the Young Adult Club. The woman's movement saw great participation by the Girl Reserves in Fort Dodge, and most notably the Black Girl Reserves. From their inception, YWCA programs have been visionary -- encouraging every woman and girl to perform at her maximum level to achieve self-sufficiency, maintain healthy habits, empower herself and work toward resolving racial justice issues.
The YWCA has served thousands of women and children in its 100+ years in Fort Dodge, and will continue to serve for many years to come. Today, the YWCA Center for Life Empowerment operates a Licensed Residential Treatment Center for women. The Center is a state licensed substance abuse treatment facility, which functions to provide clinically managed residential treatment for women and women with children. The organization also provides intensive and extended outpatient care both females and males. Treatment is directed toward applying recovery skills, preventing relapse, promoting personally responsibility, skills, and reintegrating the resident into the world of work, education, and family life.
The YWCA supports and directs clients by offering guidance in all aspects of their recovery. It encourage a comprehensive approach to goal setting, development of life skills, physical and mental health, employment, vocational or education enrichment and family support. The YWCA remains dedicated to empowering women and women with children by supporting their recovery and reunifying their families.